Monday, March 24, 2008

Creation's Applause

It was windy today. It was supposed to be 70 degrees, but you know how it is when there’s a strong wind...it always feels several degrees colder. I washed my hair in the morning, then took a brisk walk down the lane... the wind snatched onto every bit of my hair and threw it over my face and around my shoulders as I walked. It was a beautiful feeling! I could throw my head back and see the endless blue sky through cracks in the overhanging tree branches. The branches formed a kind of arch over the lane and the brittle limbs were all rattling and rustling in the breeze as I passed underneath. When I thought about it, it sounded like a whole arena of people clapping. That’s it, I thought, God’s creations are applauding Him! He’s told us that if no one else praises Him, even the rocks will cry out in adoration – so why couldn’t the trees be clapping for their Creator?

The Lord is evident in all of Creation. The Psalms tell us, “The heavens declare the glory of God; the firmament shows His handiwork”... He has painted evidence of His love and power and infinite wisdom into every blade of grass, every upturned flower bud, every wispy white cloud. I can hardly comprehend it, yet it’s right there before my eyes: endless rolling meadows, hazy purple mountains, and towering green trees, all pointing upwards into the incomprehensible blue sky.

It’s more than I can fathom. But if I could fathom it, it would steal this wonder I feel – and how could I bear to lose that!

10 comments:

Hank said...

I love the attitude of this!!! Love your work.

KC said...

You paint a prety picture, i felt like i was there. Sounds like a beautiful walk to!

Anonymous said...

cool.

Anonymous said...

sorry, I meanto say more than that. I meant to say 'cool. I love your work and please write more' SOrry!

Karen said...

I found that Elisabeth Elliot book you wrote about in another post. I'm about halfway through and love it to death! Thanks!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate going otside.

Jenn Joshua said...

Oh, I do too sometimes! Thankfully it's getting warmer now, though!

notabigfanoftheman said...

I see too much mention of this Jesus man. Who is this man?

Anonymous said...

I am completely awed by how you described that morning. It's so, so beautiful. You don't use so many adjectives that it detracts from the feeling and flow of the words, but you use just enough description to make it feel like I'm there with you. Not only that, but it's as though I can feel what you were feeling.

It was windy today.

D

Andrew said...

Awesome. I wanna move there!