Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Man I Prayed For

This poem by Ruth Bell Graham is so close to my heart! I memorized it several years ago after listening to a lecture by Robin Jones Gunn (she quoted the whole thing and I scribbled it down on a scrap of paper as she talked!). It's one of those perfect, once-in-a-lifetime expressions of the heart. I couldn't have said it better if I tried!

Dear God, I prayed, all unafraid
(as we're inclined to do)
I do not need a handsome man
Oh...but let him be like You!

I do not need one big and strong
nor yet so very tall,
Nor need he be some genius
Or wealthy, Lord, at all;

But let his head be high, dear God,
and let his eye be clear,
His shoulders straight, whate'er his state,
Whate'er his earthly sphere.

And let his face have character,
A ruggedness of soul,
And let his whole life show, dear God,
A singleness of goal!

Then when he comes (as he will come)
with quiet eyes aglow,
I'll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago!

6 comments:

Gaston said...

Ruth Bell Graham is da bomb.

Anonymous said...

wow...that's amazing

Rick said...

I like her By my laughing fire book. but I can't remember if its in there or not

Anonymous said...

i like this one!

Jenn Joshua said...

I'm pretty sure it is in that book. She wrote another really good book called, "Confessions of a Pack Rat", which I LOVE.

Heather said...

I love it! :)