Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow.

I remember the last time it really snowed.  It was almost an entire year ago.  And I slept outside on the porch.  It was after 5 AM by the time I finally turned in -- I called one friend to say "goodnight" and another, to say "good morning".  Those simple phone calls marked the end of an era -- and the beginning of a new one.  I don't really like to think about it.  So much has changed in one year.

It wasn't just a blizzard that night -- it was an ice storm, too.  There is nothing like turning out all the lights in the house while it's still dark, and snuggling down into a sleeping bag on an upstairs porch....seeing the light reflect through ice all over the trees -- and have sleet and snow sifting down as you're falling asleep.

I woke up with my sleeping bag crusted with ice....and little icicles in any exposed part of my hair.  I don't think  there's any replacement for that experience.  The wind was blowing: full of fog and mist and freezing rain....and the ice was rattling down out of the trees and crashing on the gravel driveway and the frozen grass.  Even my cell phone screen was fogged up with condensation.

It was beautiful.

And now, that year is over -- so quickly.  So tragically.  The snow began falling yesterday afternoon -- and it's been falling steadily ever since.  But I don't think I'm going to sleep out on the porch tonight.

12 comments:

Malachi said...

Lol, what a life! What was so tragic about this year?

Anonymous said...

Ha, that sounds like fun. :)

Nick said...

This wasn't the best year for a lot of us. Do we get to hear your story?

Jenn Joshua said...

Nick and Malachi,

Oh, I guess it was just one of those years.... Thankfully, it's the dry seasons that teach us obedience and trust. And eventually, once I've learned all my lessons, I'll definitely write the story.

Jenn Joshua said...

P.S. Nick, what's your blog about? Seems like only highly qualified individuals have access....

Nick said...

Jenn, amen - you got that right.

As far as my blog, LOL! I'll add you as a reader if you'd like. It's nothing special or profound - just some musings from everyday life.

Jenn Joshua said...

Thanks! I look forward to reading it.

David S. MacMillan III said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn Joshua said...

I loved your blog! One thing: I couldn't figure out how to leave comments. Do you have comments disabled?

Nick said...

Yeah, I do - sorry about that. The public forum medium wasn't working so well for me, LOL. Now most people just message if they have something to say. It's kind of inconvenient I know, so I might end up changing it.

David S. MacMillan III said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick said...

David, do you have Twitter? I use Twitter messaging a bit, though I don't tweet and I don't follow anyone [I'm new and refusing to get sucked in - yet]. Of course once I know who you are I have email and all that good stuff. :) I'm @NicktheLoser.