Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Commercial Break.


Well, I decided to take a quick commercial break from my "Forgiveness" posts to give an update on my plans for Kenya.  For one thing, last night I dreamed about my trip to the airport.  It was....enlightening.  (In a bad way.)
 
Turns out I forgot to fill my prescriptions beforehand -- boarded the plane with a handful of Rx papers and a hopeful heart instead.  Then I forgot my laptop case and was busy asking if I could get through security with a carry-on, plus a bare laptop.  As you can imagine, they were pretty impressed by me.

Oh yes, and then that little issue of bringing my passport along.  (And P.S.  Is it really necessary to wear shoes in an airport?)

When I woke up, I started making a master list of everything -- and I do mean EVERYTHING -- I need to take (down to chapstick, an extra pillowcase, and a list of important phone numbers) so my dream (er, nightmare) doesn't become a reality.

I can take three pieces of luggage, total.  I'll be gone for two months.  Each bag has a separate (and declining) weight limit, so I'm looking for the largest, yet lightest duffel bags possible.  (On that note, does anybody have any traveling/flying suggestions for me?  I've never exactly done this before -- besides in my dream and that just proved I need some serious help!)

Also, I've been trying to think of a practical, but cute gift for the kids at the orphanage.  Something small (and preferably lightweight -- ahem).  A couple days ago, I was working on my own packing list when I got it (or at least, I think I did).  Headscarves!  (Or bandannas -- whatever you'd like to call them.)  I'm taking several of my own to wear while I'm there (seems practical to keep my hair tied back and protected while I'm working in the gardens, etc.) and I think the kids would really enjoy having some too.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I'm going to work on buying some, sewing some, and recruiting a few other people to do the same.  The scarves will be in all different colors and varieties.  Does this sound like a brilliant idea or a brilliantly stupid idea?  They all spend a great deal of time outdoors, so it seems like a winner.

Sounding board?

3 comments:

Barb said...

Chew gum on the plane that really helps with motion sickness.

TheJoshuaFamily said...

We will all help you w/ the sewing!

Deb said...

I think it's a lovely idea! :)